Chain and Electric Hoists
For hoist hire , visit Best at hire, your national tool hire centre.
Are you looking to hire portable hoists, chain block hoists, beam hoists, gantry hoists or electric hoists? From drum or pallet handling equipment to glass lifting systems, we stock a comprehensive range of lifting equipment hire products – all available at competitive prices via a vast UK-wide network of hire depots.
What is a hoist and when are they used?
A hoist is a lifting device. It is generally used to lift or lower heavy loads – often on construction sites, in warehouses, and in many other trades where heavy lifting is frequently necessary. Some hoists are manual, whereas others are powered electrically or by air. The load is usually attached to the hoist system using lifting hooks.
How to use a hoist safely
Whenever you are hiring hoists it is vital to ensure all handlers are fully trained in using the system correctly – and that any hoist accessories are designed for use with that particular system. We can supply not only the lifting system but also a vast selection of hoist lifting hooks, slings, buckets, beam clamps and other accessories that can be used in conjunction with the hoists. Other fundamental safety considerations include:
- Checking that you have cleared adequate space around the winch or hoist system for it to be used safely and effectively.
- Ensuring all handlers are aware of (and respecting) the hoist system's safe working load (SWL).
- Using only accessories that are compatible with your chosen lifting system.
- Showing all hoist handlers how to use the system's emergency lowering systems.
- Making sure there are always two handlers to a hoist, unless your risk assessment indicates differently.
The Health & Safety Executive also published hoist safety guidelines, and all employers must carry out a full risk assessment before employing a mechanical hoist on site.
Quality lifting equipment suppliers
Our huge range of hoisting products includes:
- Manual lifting-pulling machines like the manual Tirfor winch, which can be used simply as a winch or as a hoist or tensioner.
- Ratchet lever hoists, which are often employed in tight spaces because they can be used at any angle.
- Scaffold hoists, which help you lift materials or tools up onto the scaffolding more easily.
- Air-powered hoists, which are ideal for use in hazardous settings such as petrochemical plants.
- Heavy duty manual chain hoists and electric chain hoists in various lengths, for continuous lifting operations.
We can supply many additional hoisting systems as well as those above – plus a vast range of hoist accessories including buckets, slings, lifting hooks and beam clamps.
We make it easy for you to hire hoists
Just call our team of experts on 0344 288 8088 for advice about the best lifting system for your specific project, or order the items online.
We have depots distributed right across the UK, making it easy for you to pick up your hoist hire items from the most convenient location – or you can ask for our speedy delivery service.